Sunday, January 28, 2007

John Quigley (Feb. 4, 2006)

As a student at Marlboro College from 1973-77 I so looked
forward to "DeKoven Presents" every Sunday evening which
aired over WFCR in Amherst(?), Ma. I only began my class-
ical music education as an undergraduate in Vermont, and
what an incredibly large role "DKP" played in it. Each Sun-
day evening I hurried up mountain from choral rehearsal in
Brattleboro & parked atop a hill facing south to secure the
best reception possible to listen to, what I thought was, a
spellbinding hour of music.The enthusiasm alone for the subject was infectious. Boy, how I miss those days.

We even corresponded a couple times by postcards.
DeKoven wrote in the tiniest of print in lines & circles in
order to fill every miniscule space on the card...Amazing!
He was NEVER short on words or opinions. I learned so much from him & became a Life Long Fan on Barracoco Music. Thanks to "DKV" & my Choral Teacher & Life Long
Friend, Blanche Moyse (living still in Vt.@ 96 years young)
I have had the best of musical educations.

P.S. Are there any available tapes of the old shows ?!*

*** With Much Thanks, John Quigley, Bucks Co., PA.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I was thrilled recently to learn that a large recorded collection of Seymour DeKoven's radio broadcasts are in the American Heritage Collection of the University of Wyoming. I ordered a sample copied from tape to CD and was thrilled to re-live one of my first DeKoven experiences and hear once again his voice and unique musical commentary. The contact info I have at UWyo is waggener@uwyo.edu. Donna, San Francisco, CA

mki said...

Sunday nights in the 70's with capital "DEKOVEN" (no mister or sir!) were also special moments for me in high school and college, and led to my life-long interest in early music. I have long hoped to find recordings of the broadcasts and show my family where "super-OTW" actually came from. Thanks for the contact at U Wyoming!

Unknown said...

Thanks Donna. I will write to uwyo as you suggest and try to get a cd. I was a student in NY in the early 60s and loved his quirky but loving way with the music.
Howard.Wettstein-AT-ucr.edu

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I am thrilled to find so many people who remember DeKoven Presents. I listened to him in the 60's, from about 61-67. His show opened a whole new world of classical music, in addition to the Brahms, Tchaikovsky, etc. heard in our house.